What is Opera Virus
Opera Virus has been classified as a typical browser hijacker which is capable of modifying your web browser settings without any knowledge or permission. Despite acting more like a redirect than like a dangerous malware, Opera Virus still can threaten your online security, thus you definitely don’t need it on your machine.
If Opera Virus infects your Mac, it can affect the start page immediately by adding a new tab page and search engine to your default web browser. In this way, the hijacker can easily spy on your browsing activities and share them with third parties who can place your personal data in serious danger.
How is Opera Virus distributed
Often, Opera Virus has been distributed via another potentially unwanted program (PUP). In fact, it is usually you who have installed it on your Mac together with a program you have desired.
Due to the fact that the third-party applications are usually bundled with other free programs, you can easily miss their presence and let them into your computer. This is how your personal safety gets threatened without your knowledge.
Luckily, there is something you can do to prevent unwanted programs from accessing your Mac. Start with checking up your Advanced/Custom configuration setup step that will help you to locate and delete the PUP before it infects your computer.
What does Opera Virus do
As a typical hijacker, Opera Virus can make changes to your default browser settings without your permission. When installed on your Mac, you will see the new tab page and default search engine on your screen. Due to these changes, Opera Virus is the first thing to load when you open the affected web browser.
What is important for you to know is that when present on your Mac, Opera Virus is capable of collecting your browsing history and search results.Once the hijacker collects this data, it starts showing tonnes of targeted ads in your web browser.
To stop Opera Virus spying on your online activities and avoid the risk of malware infections, keep away from the numerous ads and remove the unwanted program from your Mac as soon as possible.
How to Remove Opera Virus from your Mac
To remove Opera Virus and all the files associated with the hijacker, you need to follow the steps listed below. Once you manage to erase the unwanted program, you should install a reliable security software to keep your Mac protected at all times.
Before you start the removal process, keep in mind that the files associated with Opera Virus may have different names.
Remove Opera Virus manually
- Press ⇧+⌘+U keys simultaneously to open Utilities, or click on “Go” and then open “Utilities”.
- Go to Activity Monitor and double-click it.
- Check for any suspicious processes in the Activity Monitor and select “Force Quit” to quit them completely.
- Press “Go” again and select Applications.
- Check for any suspicious app names identical or similar to Opera Virus and if you find any, right-click on them and select “Move to Trash”.
- Go to Accounts and click on the Login Items preference. You will see a list of items that start automatically when you log in. If you notice any suspicious apps identical or similar to Opera Virus, check the ones you want to stop from running automatically and select the Minus (“–“) icon to hide them.
- Delete the left-over files that might be related to Opera Virus by following the steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- Type the name of the app you want to delete in the search bar.
- Change the drop down menus above the search bar to “System Files” and “Are Included” and you will see all the files associated with the application you want to delete.
- To remove all files that are related to Opera Virus, hold the ⌘+A buttons simultaneously to select them and drag them to “Trash”.