What is Pro Search Tip
Pro Search Tip is known as a Mac virus that is capable of redirecting you to its own search engine and flooding your screen with tonnes of pop-up advertisements. Due to its ability to modify your web browser settings without asking for any permission, Pro Search Tip has been classified as a browser hijacker redirect. This hijacker could change the start page and search settings for all browser applications on your Mac, thus you certainly don’t need it on your computer.
In case Pro Search Tip enters your Mac, it can affect the start page immediately by adding a new tab page and search engine to your default web browser. In this way, the hijacker is capable of tracking your browsing activities which can seriously threaten your online security.
How is Pro Search Tip distributed
Often, Pro Search Tip has been distributed via another potentially unwanted program (PUP). Actually, it is usually you who have installed it on your Mac alongside a program you have desired.
Due to the fact that the third-party applications are often bundled with other free programs, you can easily miss their presence and let them freely into your computer. This is how your personal safety gets threatened without your knowledge.
Luckily, there is something you can do to prevent unwanted programs from accessing your Mac. Start with checking up your Advanced/Custom configuration setup step that will help you to locate and delete the program before it infects your computer.
What does Pro Search Tip do
Being categorized as a browser hijacker redirect, Pro Search Tip can make changes to your default browser settings without your permission. Once installed on your Mac, you will notice the new tab page and default search engine on your screen. Due to these changes, Pro Search Tip is the first thing to load when you open the affected web browser.
What is important for you to know is that when present on your Mac, Pro Search Tip is capable of collecting your browsing history and search results. As soon as the hijacker collects this data, it starts showing tonnes of targeted ads in your web browser.
To stop Pro Search Tip from spying on your online activities and avoid the risk of malware infections, keep away from the numerous ads and remove the unwanted program from your Mac as soon as possible.
How to remove Pro Search Tip from your Mac
To remove Pro Search Tip and all the files associated with the hijacker, you need to follow the steps listed below. As soon as you manage to erase the unwanted program, you should install reliable security software to keep your Mac protected at all times.
Before you start the removal process, keep in mind that the files associated with Pro Search Tip may have different names.
Remove Pro Search Tip manually
- Press ⇧+⌘+U keys simultaneously to open Utilities, or click on “Go” and then open “Utilities”.
- Go to Activity Monitor and double-click it.
- Check for any suspicious processes in the Activity Monitor and select “Force Quit” to quit them completely.
- Press “Go” again and select Applications.
- Check for any suspicious app names identical or similar to Pro Search Tip and if you find any, right-click on them and select “Move to Trash”.
- Go to Accounts and click on the Login Items preference. You will see a list of items that start automatically when you log in. If you notice any suspicious apps identical or similar to Pro Search Tip, check the ones you want to stop from running automatically and select the Minus (“–“) icon to hide them.
- Delete the left-over files that might be related to Pro Search Tip by following the steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- Type the name of the app you want to delete in the search bar.
- Change the drop down menus above the search bar to “System Files” and “Are Included” and you will see all the files associated with the application you want to delete.
- To remove all files that are related to Pro Search Tip, hold the ⌘+A buttons simultaneously to select them and drag them to “Trash”.