What is Search.margamish.com
The Search.margamish.com website is linked to browser hijacker activity on your Mac. If you constantly get redirected to this page, or it surprisingly took the place of your homepage and preferred search engine, it means that the malicious software has altered your browser settings. You can expect other unpleasant surprises like finding yourself redirected to unfamiliar pages, and your online activity constantly getting interrupted by shady advertisements and pop-ups.
How it is distributed
The most common delivery methods of the Search.margamish.com hijacker are freeware, bundled software, fake update messages, spam emails, torrent files, etc. Usually, users are unaware that they’re allowing malicious software to enter their computers. That’s possible due to their carelessness and lack of diligence. To avoid the installation of this browser hijacker, and any malware for that matter, you need to pay close attention to the install process. Check if there’s any hidden software in the form of bonus content. More often than not, dangerous parasites pose as additional apps, advertised as useful to the user. Such programs are optional and you can easily stop them from getting installed on your Mac. All you have to do is uncheck the boxes next to them, before continuing with the next installation steps.
How it operates
As we already mentioned, the Search.margamish.com hijacker can modify your browser settings, so it can execute its malicious plan. The parasite is programmed to create revenue for its creators through the pay-per-click scheme. For each click you make on a shady ad generated by the hijacker, the cyber criminals will get paid. But you may also get redirected to potentially dangerous third-party websites that can infect your computer with viruses. As a consequence of the enormous amount of advertisements being created on a daily basis by the hijacker, your web browser will soon stop responding to your actions. Lagging, slow internet speed, frequent browser crashes are just a few of the symptoms of a browser hijacker infection on your Mac. What’s more, your personal data may be exposed! Information like passwords, bank account and credit card credentials, IP addresses, Login details, etc. may fall into the hands of hackers, seeking to sell this information to other shady third-parties. The only way to stop the malicious effect of the Search.margamish.com browser hijacker on your computer is to remove it entirely before it is too late!
Staying safe from Search.margamish.com browser hijacker
Apart from having a reliable AV software installed on your Mac, there are other things you can do to ensure your device’s safety. We highly recommend you to:
- Pay close attention when you install third-party software, especially torrent files, so you don’t install shady additional applications that you don’t want. In most cases, that’s how malicious parasites are able to infect your computer;
- Read any Terms and Conditions you see, so you know exactly what you agree to. The last thing you want is to unknowingly give permission to a nasty virus to infiltrate your Mac;
- Follow links that lead to trustworthy sites only;
- It is best to visit only reliable and official websites. You never know what dangers might lurk behind an unfamiliar site;
- No matter how attractive an ad is, if you are not familiar with the website it redirects to, it might be best to steer clear of it and not click;
- Always check the sender’s email address before opening a message. If it states that it’s from an official company, compare the email with the one given in their official page. If there is no match, delete the message, since it most likely is fake and has malicious aims;
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders. More often than not, such files carry infections that can seriously damage your computer.
How to manually remove Search.margamish.com browser hijacker from Mac
If you’ve had the misfortune of getting your Mac infected with the Search.margamish.com browser hijacker, the instructions below can help you to remove it manually. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Utilities. You can do that by using the ⇧+⌘+U key combination, or by going to Finder and choosing Utilities from the Go main menu at the top.
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it.
3. A list will be displayed. Find any processes that seem suspicious to you and use the ‘Force Quit‘ option to quit them completely.
4. Open Finder. Click on the Go button from the main menu at the top, and choose Applications. An alternative way is to use the ⇧+⌘+A key combination.
5. Look for any suspicious applications, especially ones with a name similar to Search.margamish.com. If any are found, right-click on them and select the ‘Move to Trash‘ option.
6. Remove any related left-over files by going to Finder‘s search bar and typing the name of the app you want to remove. Make sure to modify the two drop down menus above to ‘System Files‘ and ‘Are Included‘, so that any hidden files are visible for you to remove. Once you find the files you want to remove, simply drag them to Trash.
7. All that’s left for you to do is remove any related extensions to Search.margamish.com from your Mac browsers.
For Mozilla Firefox extensions:
- Open the Firefox browser and from the ‘burger’ menu in the top right corner of the window select ‘Add-ons’.
- Select any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and click ‘Remove’.
For Google Chrome extensions:
- Open the Chrome browser and select Tools > Extensions from the menu (the three dots in the top right corner of the browser window).
- Locate any suspicious extensions that may be related to the virus and remove them.
For Safari extensions:
- Open the Safari browser. From the Safari menu choose Preferences. Select Extensions from the options at the top.
- Find any extensions you think are related to the virus, select them and click ‘Uninstall’. A new window will show up asking for confirmation. Click Uninstall again, for the extension to get deleted permanently from your browser.